Feb 2, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
It turns out the Stars aren’t quite so close to being in perfect health.
The team announced they’ve put 40 year-old forward Ray Whitney on injured reserve with a lower body injury. Coming up from the AHL to take his spot on the roster is 21 year-old Reilly Smith. Smith was second on the Texas Stars with 27 points in 38 games.
The downside of adding older veteran players is that they might be a bit more high maintenance when it comes to injuries. We’ve seen Jaromir Jagr deal with back issues already this year and now Whitney is out. On the upside, they’re expecting Derek Roy to return on Monday so their scoring lines will be thinner than normal tonight against Phoenix.
Update (3:54 p.m. ET): Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News tweets the update from the Stars. It’s a broken foot for Whitney and he’ll miss 4-6 weeks. That’s a tough situation for him and the team as he was leading them in points.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)