Feb 2, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
It turns out the Stars aren’t quite so close to being in perfect health.
The team announced they’ve put 40 year-old forward Ray Whitney on injured reserve with a lower body injury. Coming up from the AHL to take his spot on the roster is 21 year-old Reilly Smith. Smith was second on the Texas Stars with 27 points in 38 games.
The downside of adding older veteran players is that they might be a bit more high maintenance when it comes to injuries. We’ve seen Jaromir Jagr deal with back issues already this year and now Whitney is out. On the upside, they’re expecting Derek Roy to return on Monday so their scoring lines will be thinner than normal tonight against Phoenix.
Update (3:54 p.m. ET): Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News tweets the update from the Stars. It’s a broken foot for Whitney and he’ll miss 4-6 weeks. That’s a tough situation for him and the team as he was leading them in points.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)