Feb 2, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
It turns out the Stars aren’t quite so close to being in perfect health.
The team announced they’ve put 40 year-old forward Ray Whitney on injured reserve with a lower body injury. Coming up from the AHL to take his spot on the roster is 21 year-old Reilly Smith. Smith was second on the Texas Stars with 27 points in 38 games.
The downside of adding older veteran players is that they might be a bit more high maintenance when it comes to injuries. We’ve seen Jaromir Jagr deal with back issues already this year and now Whitney is out. On the upside, they’re expecting Derek Roy to return on Monday so their scoring lines will be thinner than normal tonight against Phoenix.
Update (3:54 p.m. ET): Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News tweets the update from the Stars. It’s a broken foot for Whitney and he’ll miss 4-6 weeks. That’s a tough situation for him and the team as he was leading them in points.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)