Feb 2, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Fear not Blues fans, David Backes isn’t going to be suspended.
Backes’ hit on Red Wings defenseman Kent Huskins that saw him get rung up for a match penalty will not result in a suspension and his record will stay clean according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. John Shannon of Sportsnet also adds to it reporting the league has rescinded his game misconduct.
The penalty came in the third period of what was a 3-3 game at the time. On the major power play, Pavel Datsyuk would score the game-winning goal to put them up 4-3. Detroit went on to win 5-3.
As for Backes’ hit, the officials must have thought they saw him hit Huskins in the head with his crushing check. What really happened was more than apparent as Backes hit him square in the chest. The photographic evidence tells you all you really need to know.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)