Feb 2, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Fear not Blues fans, David Backes isn’t going to be suspended.
Backes’ hit on Red Wings defenseman Kent Huskins that saw him get rung up for a match penalty will not result in a suspension and his record will stay clean according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. John Shannon of Sportsnet also adds to it reporting the league has rescinded his game misconduct.
The penalty came in the third period of what was a 3-3 game at the time. On the major power play, Pavel Datsyuk would score the game-winning goal to put them up 4-3. Detroit went on to win 5-3.
As for Backes’ hit, the officials must have thought they saw him hit Huskins in the head with his crushing check. What really happened was more than apparent as Backes hit him square in the chest. The photographic evidence tells you all you really need to know.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 15
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)