Feb 2, 2013, 1:11 AM EDT
Who knows how many more times goaltender Roberto Luongo will start for Vancouver, but if he keeps playing like this, Canucks GM Mike Gillis might be tempted to take him off the trading block.
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault decided to go with Luongo for a third consecutive game as the Canucks faced one of their most heated rivals, the Blackhawks.
Chicago got off to a 6-0-1 start in 2013 while Vancouver’s season has been much more of a mix bag, but Luongo kicked out 27 of 28 shots Friday night to force the contest to a shootout.
That includes this big save by the Canucks netminder late in the third period:
Luongo now has a 1.46 GAA and .944 save percentage in five games this season.
So…who will start for Vancouver on Monday against Edmonton?
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5