Feb 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
It’s been a hard-knock life for Detroit’s Jimmy Howard this season. He’s started all seven games for the Red Wings and has played every minute except for the final 20 of their first game against St. Louis, a 6-0 beat down.
The side effect of all that play? He hasn’t been able to talk about a contract extension with GM Ken Holland as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports.
“To be honest, there’s no time even to think about it these days,” he said. “Last time around, there was a lot more downtime. Now it’s just, you’re constantly going and constantly playing.”
Howard is in the final year of a two-year, $4.5 million contract and with how he’s played and how much he’s taken on this year, he’s proving his worth. With Jonas Gustavsson dealing with a wonky groin and rookie Thomas McCollum getting the uneasy call-up, it’s been all up to Howard to make sure the Wings hang tough.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
GM David Poile might be the busiest man in hockey.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Based on a couple of reports, the answer appears to be yes.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
“If you move up, there’s a chance to maybe get that better player.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The duo spent the last three seasons together in Vancouver.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
He’ll be in charge of working with defensemen.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Chicago has once again found themselves behind the Bruins.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Both were scheduled to become restricted free agents this summer.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
Ken Cruise showed off his work at Game 3.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Boston has a 2-1 series lead.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Looks like Seth Jones might not be the number one selection.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 10
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut