Feb 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
It’s been a hard-knock life for Detroit’s Jimmy Howard this season. He’s started all seven games for the Red Wings and has played every minute except for the final 20 of their first game against St. Louis, a 6-0 beat down.
The side effect of all that play? He hasn’t been able to talk about a contract extension with GM Ken Holland as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports.
“To be honest, there’s no time even to think about it these days,” he said. “Last time around, there was a lot more downtime. Now it’s just, you’re constantly going and constantly playing.”
Howard is in the final year of a two-year, $4.5 million contract and with how he’s played and how much he’s taken on this year, he’s proving his worth. With Jonas Gustavsson dealing with a wonky groin and rookie Thomas McCollum getting the uneasy call-up, it’s been all up to Howard to make sure the Wings hang tough.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)