Feb 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been a strong team so far without P.K. Subban in the lineup. They didn’t skip a beat when he suited up on Saturday, either.
Subban, 23, collected a secondary assist as Montreal dismantled the Buffalo Sabres 6-1.
The Habs stormed into the game, firing 15 shots to Buffalo’s lone attempt on net in a lopsided first period that Ryan Miller,32, kept to 1-0 in Montreal’s favor. Eventually, the Canadiens got to the American netminder, chasing him after taking a 4-0 lead in the second period.
(Jhonas Enroth didn’t have much better luck, allowing two more scores in the third.)
Michel Therrien decided to ease Subban into the action as the dynamic young blueliner received just a second more than 18 minutes of ice time. We’ll see if he eventually approaches the 24-minute clip he averaged last season after shaking off the rust.
Buffalo’s bright side came in Thomas Vanek‘s continued scoring streak. The 29-year-old winger collected the Sabres’ only goal, giving him seven on the season and boosting his league-leading points total to 16.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination