Feb 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been a strong team so far without P.K. Subban in the lineup. They didn’t skip a beat when he suited up on Saturday, either.
Subban, 23, collected a secondary assist as Montreal dismantled the Buffalo Sabres 6-1.
The Habs stormed into the game, firing 15 shots to Buffalo’s lone attempt on net in a lopsided first period that Ryan Miller,32, kept to 1-0 in Montreal’s favor. Eventually, the Canadiens got to the American netminder, chasing him after taking a 4-0 lead in the second period.
(Jhonas Enroth didn’t have much better luck, allowing two more scores in the third.)
Michel Therrien decided to ease Subban into the action as the dynamic young blueliner received just a second more than 18 minutes of ice time. We’ll see if he eventually approaches the 24-minute clip he averaged last season after shaking off the rust.
Buffalo’s bright side came in Thomas Vanek‘s continued scoring streak. The 29-year-old winger collected the Sabres’ only goal, giving him seven on the season and boosting his league-leading points total to 16.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)