Feb 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been a strong team so far without P.K. Subban in the lineup. They didn’t skip a beat when he suited up on Saturday, either.
Subban, 23, collected a secondary assist as Montreal dismantled the Buffalo Sabres 6-1.
The Habs stormed into the game, firing 15 shots to Buffalo’s lone attempt on net in a lopsided first period that Ryan Miller,32, kept to 1-0 in Montreal’s favor. Eventually, the Canadiens got to the American netminder, chasing him after taking a 4-0 lead in the second period.
(Jhonas Enroth didn’t have much better luck, allowing two more scores in the third.)
Michel Therrien decided to ease Subban into the action as the dynamic young blueliner received just a second more than 18 minutes of ice time. We’ll see if he eventually approaches the 24-minute clip he averaged last season after shaking off the rust.
Buffalo’s bright side came in Thomas Vanek‘s continued scoring streak. The 29-year-old winger collected the Sabres’ only goal, giving him seven on the season and boosting his league-leading points total to 16.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)