Feb 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been a strong team so far without P.K. Subban in the lineup. They didn’t skip a beat when he suited up on Saturday, either.
Subban, 23, collected a secondary assist as Montreal dismantled the Buffalo Sabres 6-1.
The Habs stormed into the game, firing 15 shots to Buffalo’s lone attempt on net in a lopsided first period that Ryan Miller,32, kept to 1-0 in Montreal’s favor. Eventually, the Canadiens got to the American netminder, chasing him after taking a 4-0 lead in the second period.
(Jhonas Enroth didn’t have much better luck, allowing two more scores in the third.)
Michel Therrien decided to ease Subban into the action as the dynamic young blueliner received just a second more than 18 minutes of ice time. We’ll see if he eventually approaches the 24-minute clip he averaged last season after shaking off the rust.
Buffalo’s bright side came in Thomas Vanek‘s continued scoring streak. The 29-year-old winger collected the Sabres’ only goal, giving him seven on the season and boosting his league-leading points total to 16.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)