Feb 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been a strong team so far without P.K. Subban in the lineup. They didn’t skip a beat when he suited up on Saturday, either.
Subban, 23, collected a secondary assist as Montreal dismantled the Buffalo Sabres 6-1.
The Habs stormed into the game, firing 15 shots to Buffalo’s lone attempt on net in a lopsided first period that Ryan Miller,32, kept to 1-0 in Montreal’s favor. Eventually, the Canadiens got to the American netminder, chasing him after taking a 4-0 lead in the second period.
(Jhonas Enroth didn’t have much better luck, allowing two more scores in the third.)
Michel Therrien decided to ease Subban into the action as the dynamic young blueliner received just a second more than 18 minutes of ice time. We’ll see if he eventually approaches the 24-minute clip he averaged last season after shaking off the rust.
Buffalo’s bright side came in Thomas Vanek‘s continued scoring streak. The 29-year-old winger collected the Sabres’ only goal, giving him seven on the season and boosting his league-leading points total to 16.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)