Feb 2, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
While Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine awaits word about a possible suspension, the guy he hit will miss at least once game. The Philadelphia Flyers announced that Wayne Simmonds won’t play in Saturday’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Wayne will not play in tonight’s game because of head and neck injuries suffered in last nights game. He will be re-evaluated tomorrow,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.
Erskine, 32, caught Simmonds, 24, with a questionable check that incited a fight on Friday. You can check out that bout and blow here.
Simmonds has two goals and five points in eight games this season, maintaining his physical edge with 27 penalty minutes. He’s been a sturdy player throughout his brief career, missing no more than four games in any campaign and boasting two full 82-game runs.
Winger Tye McGinn, 22, is expected to return to Philly’s lineup in Simmonds’ absence.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 52
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5