Feb 2, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
While Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine awaits word about a possible suspension, the guy he hit will miss at least once game. The Philadelphia Flyers announced that Wayne Simmonds won’t play in Saturday’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Wayne will not play in tonight’s game because of head and neck injuries suffered in last nights game. He will be re-evaluated tomorrow,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.
Erskine, 32, caught Simmonds, 24, with a questionable check that incited a fight on Friday. You can check out that bout and blow here.
Simmonds has two goals and five points in eight games this season, maintaining his physical edge with 27 penalty minutes. He’s been a sturdy player throughout his brief career, missing no more than four games in any campaign and boasting two full 82-game runs.
Winger Tye McGinn, 22, is expected to return to Philly’s lineup in Simmonds’ absence.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 1
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 25
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8