Feb 2, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
While Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine awaits word about a possible suspension, the guy he hit will miss at least once game. The Philadelphia Flyers announced that Wayne Simmonds won’t play in Saturday’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Wayne will not play in tonight’s game because of head and neck injuries suffered in last nights game. He will be re-evaluated tomorrow,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.
Erskine, 32, caught Simmonds, 24, with a questionable check that incited a fight on Friday. You can check out that bout and blow here.
Simmonds has two goals and five points in eight games this season, maintaining his physical edge with 27 penalty minutes. He’s been a sturdy player throughout his brief career, missing no more than four games in any campaign and boasting two full 82-game runs.
Winger Tye McGinn, 22, is expected to return to Philly’s lineup in Simmonds’ absence.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 20
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 42
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9