Feb 2, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
While Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine awaits word about a possible suspension, the guy he hit will miss at least once game. The Philadelphia Flyers announced that Wayne Simmonds won’t play in Saturday’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Wayne will not play in tonight’s game because of head and neck injuries suffered in last nights game. He will be re-evaluated tomorrow,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.
Erskine, 32, caught Simmonds, 24, with a questionable check that incited a fight on Friday. You can check out that bout and blow here.
Simmonds has two goals and five points in eight games this season, maintaining his physical edge with 27 penalty minutes. He’s been a sturdy player throughout his brief career, missing no more than four games in any campaign and boasting two full 82-game runs.
Winger Tye McGinn, 22, is expected to return to Philly’s lineup in Simmonds’ absence.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)