Feb 2, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
While Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine awaits word about a possible suspension, the guy he hit will miss at least once game. The Philadelphia Flyers announced that Wayne Simmonds won’t play in Saturday’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Wayne will not play in tonight’s game because of head and neck injuries suffered in last nights game. He will be re-evaluated tomorrow,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.
Erskine, 32, caught Simmonds, 24, with a questionable check that incited a fight on Friday. You can check out that bout and blow here.
Simmonds has two goals and five points in eight games this season, maintaining his physical edge with 27 penalty minutes. He’s been a sturdy player throughout his brief career, missing no more than four games in any campaign and boasting two full 82-game runs.
Winger Tye McGinn, 22, is expected to return to Philly’s lineup in Simmonds’ absence.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)