Feb 2, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan made his call on John Erskine‘s elbow on Wayne Simmonds from Friday: the Washington Capitals defenseman has been suspended for three games. Shanahan said Erskine “recklessly elbowed” Simmonds, as you can see from the video explanation:
Erskine will miss Sunday’s afternoon NBC game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, Tuesday’s contest against the Toronto Maple Leafs and another matchup against Pittsburgh on Thursday. He’ll be eligible to play against the Florida Panthers on Feb. 9.
The suspension will cost Erskine, 32, exactly $24,324.33.
That hit sidelined Simmonds, 24, for one game already (tonight’s match against the Carolina Hurricanes). He’ll be re-evaluated in the near future.
How do you feel about the hit? Was the punishment too light, too severe or just right?
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)