Feb 2, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan made his call on John Erskine‘s elbow on Wayne Simmonds from Friday: the Washington Capitals defenseman has been suspended for three games. Shanahan said Erskine “recklessly elbowed” Simmonds, as you can see from the video explanation:
Erskine will miss Sunday’s afternoon NBC game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, Tuesday’s contest against the Toronto Maple Leafs and another matchup against Pittsburgh on Thursday. He’ll be eligible to play against the Florida Panthers on Feb. 9.
The suspension will cost Erskine, 32, exactly $24,324.33.
That hit sidelined Simmonds, 24, for one game already (tonight’s match against the Carolina Hurricanes). He’ll be re-evaluated in the near future.
How do you feel about the hit? Was the punishment too light, too severe or just right?
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)