Feb 2, 2013, 6:20 PM EST
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty has had some bad injury luck in his young career, but he’s starting to develop a reputation for remarkably quick recoveries.*
The 24-year-old winger was supposed to miss about a month after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on Jan. 26. Instead, Michel Therrien told RDS’ Renaud Lavoie that Pacioretty could be back as soon as Sunday’s game against the Ottawa Senators.
That would represent a remarkable eight-day turnaround.
(It’s probably about time to insert a “paging Dr. Recchi” joke. Go ahead.)
The American-born forward was on the receiving end of an infamous Zdeno Chara hit on March 8, 2011. Some wondered if he’d ever be the same, yet he bounced back with a 33-goal, 65-point breakout campaign last season. He also had four assists in his first three contests in 2013 before undergoing that emergency procedure.
At this point, it’s tough to count him out, whether he returns Sunday or some other time in the near future.
* – Some total nerds might even want to call him “Wolverine.”
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)