Feb 2, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty has had some bad injury luck in his young career, but he’s starting to develop a reputation for remarkably quick recoveries.*
The 24-year-old winger was supposed to miss about a month after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on Jan. 26. Instead, Michel Therrien told RDS’ Renaud Lavoie that Pacioretty could be back as soon as Sunday’s game against the Ottawa Senators.
That would represent a remarkable eight-day turnaround.
(It’s probably about time to insert a “paging Dr. Recchi” joke. Go ahead.)
The American-born forward was on the receiving end of an infamous Zdeno Chara hit on March 8, 2011. Some wondered if he’d ever be the same, yet he bounced back with a 33-goal, 65-point breakout campaign last season. He also had four assists in his first three contests in 2013 before undergoing that emergency procedure.
At this point, it’s tough to count him out, whether he returns Sunday or some other time in the near future.
* – Some total nerds might even want to call him “Wolverine.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)