Feb 1, 2013, 12:53 AM EST
It started bad, got worse and didn’t get much better for the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.
The Blue Jackets surrendered three goals in the opening 20 minutes and lost 4-1 to the visiting St. Louis Blues.
Blues 21-year-old rookie right winger Vladimir Tarasenko scored again, making it five goals in his first seven NHL games. He put the Blues up on the Blue Jackets 3-0 late in the first period.
“Something has got to change,” Derek Dorsett told the The Columbus Dispatch. “Our first periods have been horrendous. We’ve been chasing from behind, and it mentally drains you, makes you a fragile group.”
The Blue Jackets are now 14th in the Western Conference standings, just two points up on the Calgary Flames.
Perhaps the one bright spot for Columbus was the four fights in the second period, although it’s difficult to give a clear decision to anyone of the Blue Jackets who dropped the gloves.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)