Feb 1, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Did the Detroit Red Wings catch a big break on Friday?
With their game against St. Louis tied at 3-3 midway through the third period, Blues forward David Backes delivered a hard hit to Detroit defenseman Kent Huskins that appeared to knock the wind out of him.
Backes was ejected from the game because of an illegal hit to the head. The replays make that ruling look very questionable.
TSN’s Aaron Ward added that the blow didn’t appear to be late.
You can see the hit for yourself below:
Even if you remove that call, this game would have been a huge step up for Detroit compared to its humiliating loss to St. Louis in the season opener.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)