Feb 1, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
Did the Detroit Red Wings catch a big break on Friday?
With their game against St. Louis tied at 3-3 midway through the third period, Blues forward David Backes delivered a hard hit to Detroit defenseman Kent Huskins that appeared to knock the wind out of him.
Backes was ejected from the game because of an illegal hit to the head. The replays make that ruling look very questionable.
TSN’s Aaron Ward added that the blow didn’t appear to be late.
You can see the hit for yourself below:
Even if you remove that call, this game would have been a huge step up for Detroit compared to its humiliating loss to St. Louis in the season opener.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)