Feb 1, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
Did the Detroit Red Wings catch a big break on Friday?
With their game against St. Louis tied at 3-3 midway through the third period, Blues forward David Backes delivered a hard hit to Detroit defenseman Kent Huskins that appeared to knock the wind out of him.
Backes was ejected from the game because of an illegal hit to the head. The replays make that ruling look very questionable.
TSN’s Aaron Ward added that the blow didn’t appear to be late.
You can see the hit for yourself below:
Even if you remove that call, this game would have been a huge step up for Detroit compared to its humiliating loss to St. Louis in the season opener.
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 0
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 17
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4