Feb 1, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
The ECAC meat grinder rolls along and sees the defending conference champions Union looking to stay hot as they go up against Dartmouth.
No. 18 Union Dutchmen (13-8-4) vs. No. 16 Dartmouth Big Green (11-7-2) — 7:30 p.m. ET
Union College’s season following their first Frozen Four appearance in school history has seen them face a bit of a hangover. At one point they had a stretch of five games that saw them go winless going 0-2-3 winding up the first half of their ECAC schedule and losing to a struggling Vermont team. Lately, things are on the upswing. They’ve won three in a row with conference wins over Colgate and Harvard and winning the inaugural Mayor’s Cup over rival Rensselaer. Coach Rick Bennett hopes his team has turned the corner in time for a crucial battle for third place in the ECAC with Dartmouth.
The Big Green, meanwhile, are just two spots ahead of Union in the USCHO.com Top 20 poll but even they’ve had some struggles lately. They’re 3-2-0 in their last five with wins over weaker teams like Brown, Clarkson, and Harvard. Meanwhile the losses are to second place Yale and an improving St. Lawrence squad. Coach Bob Gaudet’s squad started off hot this season and they’re hoping they can get that back starting tonight.
NHL prospects to watch
Each team has but one player per side who’s been drafted by an NHL team.
For Union, you’ve likely heard all about sophomore defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere (Philadelphia – 2012 3rd Round). He was a part of this year’s Team USA World Junior Championship squad that took home gold in Ufa, Russia. He and senior blue liner Greg Coburn (Braydon Coburn’s little brother) are their biggest threats to score and set up offense on the blue line.
Others: Troy Grosenick (JR – G; 9-6-4, 2.22, .921), Wayne Simpson (SR – F; 12-16-28), Kyle Bodie (SR – F; 6-20-26)
For Dartmouth it’s senior forward Dustin Walsh (Montreal – 2009 6th Round) to take note of. Walsh is fourth on the team in points and we watched him have a big game earlier this season on NBCSN scoring two goals in a 4-2 win over Vermont. For some perspective, he’s got just seven goals this season.
Others: Tyler Sikura (SO – F; 9-16-25), Matt Lindblad (JR – Dl 9-14-23), Eric Robinson (JR – F; 10-6-16)
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
San Jose gets a fourth-round pick.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Both teams also swapped draft picks in the deal.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
Dallas looking to snap a five game skid.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:06 PM EST
He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Both are free agents after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 PM EST
It started with a Matt Greene hit on Mark Scheifele.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
The Pens’ captain was unharmed on the play.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:56 PM EST
He’s 14 back of Marcel Dionne.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
All the blockbuster details have been updated.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Sunday’s expected starting goalies.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
Could Philly move him by Monday?
Mar 1, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
The Islanders winger was February’s best first-year player.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
A decent catch for a rising team.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EST
Winnipeg faces Los Angeles on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
A quick rundown of waiver transactions on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Anaheim readies for a road-heavy March.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:17 AM EST
Three of his season’s six goals came in the last three games.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 AM EST
The first-round pick was a little too rich, it seems.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:37 AM EST
They’ll play again on March 8.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 58
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (143)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)