Feb 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
If everything goes right for Spezza, he might return around the April 3 trade deadline.
The 29-year-old was the team’s leading scorer in 2011-12 with 34 goals and 84 points in 80 games. Ottawa has been doing great offensively this season, but there’s no question that this injury leaves a hole in the team’s lineup. Senators GM Bryan Murray might make a move as a result.
“We’ll make an evaluation at some point next week if we have to do something,” Murray said.
Ottawa has a 5-1-1 record this season, but they are down 1-0 against the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday through 40 minutes. Ottawa hasn’t been shutout this season.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)