Feb 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
If everything goes right for Spezza, he might return around the April 3 trade deadline.
The 29-year-old was the team’s leading scorer in 2011-12 with 34 goals and 84 points in 80 games. Ottawa has been doing great offensively this season, but there’s no question that this injury leaves a hole in the team’s lineup. Senators GM Bryan Murray might make a move as a result.
“We’ll make an evaluation at some point next week if we have to do something,” Murray said.
Ottawa has a 5-1-1 record this season, but they are down 1-0 against the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday through 40 minutes. Ottawa hasn’t been shutout this season.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)