Feb 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
If everything goes right for Spezza, he might return around the April 3 trade deadline.
The 29-year-old was the team’s leading scorer in 2011-12 with 34 goals and 84 points in 80 games. Ottawa has been doing great offensively this season, but there’s no question that this injury leaves a hole in the team’s lineup. Senators GM Bryan Murray might make a move as a result.
“We’ll make an evaluation at some point next week if we have to do something,” Murray said.
Ottawa has a 5-1-1 record this season, but they are down 1-0 against the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday through 40 minutes. Ottawa hasn’t been shutout this season.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)