Feb 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
If everything goes right for Spezza, he might return around the April 3 trade deadline.
The 29-year-old was the team’s leading scorer in 2011-12 with 34 goals and 84 points in 80 games. Ottawa has been doing great offensively this season, but there’s no question that this injury leaves a hole in the team’s lineup. Senators GM Bryan Murray might make a move as a result.
“We’ll make an evaluation at some point next week if we have to do something,” Murray said.
Ottawa has a 5-1-1 record this season, but they are down 1-0 against the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday through 40 minutes. Ottawa hasn’t been shutout this season.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)