Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
There must be something about The Big Apple that brings out the best in the Pittsburgh Penguins.
While the Penguins celebrated, the Rangers lamented.
New York’s head coach John Tortorella called Thursday’s loss, “…probably the worst we’ve played all year, collectively.”
“It doesn’t matter who’s in there,” Rangers blue liner Dan Girardi told the New York Times.
“I know he brings a lot of energy and finishes a lot of checks, but we have guys that can do that as well in the lineup right now.”
Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun made 28 saves for his 48th career regular season shutout.
“I think we knew Tomas is a very good goalie and he has pretty good numbers,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“He’s been a starter. We knew were going to get a guy who can come in and win games, win big games for us, and he’s done that twice in this building. He had two or three big saves that he had to make. He was great.”
It’s as if the Penguins can’t lose at Madison Square Garden, or to the Rangers for that matter.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)