Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
There must be something about The Big Apple that brings out the best in the Pittsburgh Penguins.
While the Penguins celebrated, the Rangers lamented.
New York’s head coach John Tortorella called Thursday’s loss, “…probably the worst we’ve played all year, collectively.”
“It doesn’t matter who’s in there,” Rangers blue liner Dan Girardi told the New York Times.
“I know he brings a lot of energy and finishes a lot of checks, but we have guys that can do that as well in the lineup right now.”
Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun made 28 saves for his 48th career regular season shutout.
“I think we knew Tomas is a very good goalie and he has pretty good numbers,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“He’s been a starter. We knew were going to get a guy who can come in and win games, win big games for us, and he’s done that twice in this building. He had two or three big saves that he had to make. He was great.”
It’s as if the Penguins can’t lose at Madison Square Garden, or to the Rangers for that matter.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)