Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 AM EST
There must be something about The Big Apple that brings out the best in the Pittsburgh Penguins.
While the Penguins celebrated, the Rangers lamented.
New York’s head coach John Tortorella called Thursday’s loss, “…probably the worst we’ve played all year, collectively.”
“It doesn’t matter who’s in there,” Rangers blue liner Dan Girardi told the New York Times.
“I know he brings a lot of energy and finishes a lot of checks, but we have guys that can do that as well in the lineup right now.”
Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun made 28 saves for his 48th career regular season shutout.
“I think we knew Tomas is a very good goalie and he has pretty good numbers,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“He’s been a starter. We knew were going to get a guy who can come in and win games, win big games for us, and he’s done that twice in this building. He had two or three big saves that he had to make. He was great.”
It’s as if the Penguins can’t lose at Madison Square Garden, or to the Rangers for that matter.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)