Feb 1, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
“He tomahawked me right on top of the helmet,” Staal told the Bergen Record. “He dazed me. I don’t know how that’s not called.”
Staal, who missed 36 games to a concussion last year, got tangled with Malkin late in the first period. As the two went to the ice, Malkin appeared to swing his stick at Staal’s forehead.
Video here (FF to 2:55)
From the reverse angle, here’s a screenshot of the incident:
Following the tussle, Staal skated off the ice while angrily making a tomahawk/chop gesture towards the Penguins.
“I understand we’re battling in front of the net but he’s hitting down like he’s chopping wood across my head,” he told the Record.
Update: The Record’s Andrew Gross reports that John Tortorella had no comment on Friday when asked about the Malkin-Staal incident.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)