Feb 1, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
“He tomahawked me right on top of the helmet,” Staal told the Bergen Record. “He dazed me. I don’t know how that’s not called.”
Staal, who missed 36 games to a concussion last year, got tangled with Malkin late in the first period. As the two went to the ice, Malkin appeared to swing his stick at Staal’s forehead.
Video here (FF to 2:55)
From the reverse angle, here’s a screenshot of the incident:
Following the tussle, Staal skated off the ice while angrily making a tomahawk/chop gesture towards the Penguins.
“I understand we’re battling in front of the net but he’s hitting down like he’s chopping wood across my head,” he told the Record.
Update: The Record’s Andrew Gross reports that John Tortorella had no comment on Friday when asked about the Malkin-Staal incident.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)