Feb 1, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
“He tomahawked me right on top of the helmet,” Staal told the Bergen Record. “He dazed me. I don’t know how that’s not called.”
Staal, who missed 36 games to a concussion last year, got tangled with Malkin late in the first period. As the two went to the ice, Malkin appeared to swing his stick at Staal’s forehead.
Video here (FF to 2:55)
From the reverse angle, here’s a screenshot of the incident:
Following the tussle, Staal skated off the ice while angrily making a tomahawk/chop gesture towards the Penguins.
“I understand we’re battling in front of the net but he’s hitting down like he’s chopping wood across my head,” he told the Record.
Update: The Record’s Andrew Gross reports that John Tortorella had no comment on Friday when asked about the Malkin-Staal incident.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)