Feb 1, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
“He tomahawked me right on top of the helmet,” Staal told the Bergen Record. “He dazed me. I don’t know how that’s not called.”
Staal, who missed 36 games to a concussion last year, got tangled with Malkin late in the first period. As the two went to the ice, Malkin appeared to swing his stick at Staal’s forehead.
Video here (FF to 2:55)
From the reverse angle, here’s a screenshot of the incident:
Following the tussle, Staal skated off the ice while angrily making a tomahawk/chop gesture towards the Penguins.
“I understand we’re battling in front of the net but he’s hitting down like he’s chopping wood across my head,” he told the Record.
Update: The Record’s Andrew Gross reports that John Tortorella had no comment on Friday when asked about the Malkin-Staal incident.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32