Price, Subban banned from “triple-low-five” celebration

Feb 1, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT

Remember that hand-slapping routine Montreal defenseman PK Subban and goalie Carey Price used to do after wins?

Yeah, that’s not going to happen anymore.

According to Bill Beacon of the Canadian Press, the “triple-low-five” is out for this season:

Carey Price said the post-victory triple-low-five celebrations he used to do with Subban have been banned. Only team celebrations are now tolerated.

The Canadiens this season skate to centre ice after wins and raise their sticks to the fans.

“It’s a team concept,” said Therrien of the team rule. “You have to respect the game, the other team and the fans.

“The way we decided to celebrate this year is to salute the fans because they deserve it.”

So no individualistic cellies in Montreal this season. C’est dommage. (Also, I got over my concern with using “celly” and just, you know, went for it. YOLO.)

In related news, there’s still no word if Subban will make his season debut on Saturday when the Canadiens take on Buffalo at the Bell Centre.

Subban skated on the third defence pair with Francis Bouillon at Friday’s practice — that was also the pairing for the second power-play unit.

1. scionofflame - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Firstly: I hate the word celly. I hope it dies in a fire.

Second: Why can’t the boys have their personal, brief celebration AND skate to center ice with their sticks in the air? It feels like ‘being kind’ is strangling all the individuality out of players enjoying themselves.

• pone27 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Agreed.

Its not like they are doing anything that is blatantly taunting the other team. Its called chemistry between D and a goaltender.

At least they arent getting fined for it

• bigtganks - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

What’s next? No longer can you tap another player with your stick to thank him for bailing you out or making a great play??

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Thats a european thing ! Take it down the street !

• davebabychreturns - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Sounds more like a principle thing than a question of logistics, since there’s no way Subban and Price would actually run out of time to go skate to center ice and pander to the fans.

I would guess that Therrien just wants players to focus on the team and their teammates and is using this as an opportunity to emphasize that.

I would agree that it’s bad for the type of individual expression that many fans love, but it’s also probably best for Subban to just keep his head down and his mouth closed and let his play do the talking for him for awhile.

• rich859 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Celly I can deal with. YOLO is a whole different animal.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I have no problem with any of them in the proper context – which is conversation between a bunch of teenagers.

• rich859 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Teenagers at a dubstep show that just got done dropping acid. I’m just glad they only live once.

2. ibieiniid - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

on PHT, with how much this “celly” (thought that was short for ‘cell phone’ by the way) has been mentioned recently, I’m surprised this isn’t labeled as a top story.

3. me6661973 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

bet if it shreck flowery or crybaby it be allowed!

• davebabychreturns - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Is this English?

• rich859 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

No hablo.

• rdurk86 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I think he’s referring to Fleury and Crosby. It took about 5 minutes rereading it over and over though.

• rich859 - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Mad respect on your translation skills. Who needs Rosetta Stone when we got rdurk86?

4. rich859 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I really wish there was a way to move that last comment of mine. Didn’t mean to reply to a comment. My bad.

• ibieiniid - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

if it’s any consolation, it worked well where it was.

• ibieiniid - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

nvm, i’m talking about “no hablo”

• rich859 - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Eh, it’s the thought that counts though right?

5. einjzmolf - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Just do it in the locker room, as pone27 said it’s a sign of chemistry.

6. valoisvipers - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Power tripping at the Bell Center.
    Gotta wonder what PK thinks about this,his not so friendly welcome back and the Habs new management.
    If they keep PK on too short of a leash they will strangle his creativity like they did with John LeClaire.

7. sjsblitz - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

gklasdlgnsdgklnsd!!!!!!!! SO MUCH BULL! The triple-low is the only reason I watch the Habs!

8. sjsharks66 - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Letang and Fluery basically do the same thing. I dont understand why this is a big deal. Silly habs

9. ktboston - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Gaaaaay!!!

10. canadabaseball - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM

There gona do double now not triple

11. northerndomer20 - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Hey coach, how bout u ban missing the playoffs??….PK is gone after this new contract…and I don’t blame him

12. thebadguyswon - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I’m butthurt by “Celly”. SMH. LOL.

YOLO I guess. L8r.

13. thehighcountrybear - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

The day the earth stood still…klatuu barada niktu?

14. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Subban will be in the line up next game. Kaberle and Weber were on the 4th pairing during today’s practice.

15. csilojohnson - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Roger Goodell thinks they should be fined for all prior offenses.

16. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Hahahaha. Some season tickets at the Bell Centre actually have a picture of Subban and Price doing the triple low five.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches