Feb 1, 2013, 2:33 PM EST
Granted, we’re setting ourselves up for a “TALK HOCKEY NOT STUPID NFL CINDY CRSOBY SUKS!!!!!!!!!!” comment below, but we thought we’d pass along a bunch of Super Bowl picks from NHLers anyway.
|Sidney Crosby, PIT||SF 20, BAL 14|
|Brooks Orpik, PIT||SF 21, BAL 17|
|Martin St. Louis, TBL||SF 27, BAL 14|
|Paul Bissonnette, PHX||SF 28, BAL 24|
|Shane Doan, PHX||BAL 24, SF 21|
|Jarret Stoll, LAK||SF 20, BAL 14|
|Mike Richards, LAK||BAL 27, SF 24|
|Drew Doughty, LAK||SF 35, BAL 24|
|Adam Henrique, NJD||SF 27, BAL 24|
|Andy Greene, NJD||SF 31, BAL 17|
|David Clarkson, NJD||SF 21, BAL 14|
|John Tavares, NYI||SF 24, BAL 21|
|Milan Lucic, BOS||SF 31, BAL 21|
|Patrice Bergeron, BOS||SF 27, BAL 21|
|Tyler Seguin, BOS||BAL 28, SF 14|
|Ryan Miller, BUF||SF 21, BAL 13|
|Jason Pominville, BUF||SF 28, BAL 20|
|Wayne Gretzky, retired||BAL 17, SF 14|
As you can see, there’s plenty of support for the 49ers, who are 3.5-point favorites over the Ravens at most sports books.
For what’s it worth (it’s worth nothing), here’s who Halford and I like:
MH: Baltimore over San Francisco, 21-20. Two things: Resiliency and momentum. I believe Baltimore has the edge in both. Not to say the Niners are without those two things — they’ve won three straight and rallied from 17-0 to beat the Falcons — but the Ravens have shown more. In the last two weeks alone, they connected on a miracle Hail Mary en route to beating the Broncos, then beat Tom Brady and the Pats at Foxboro despite trailing at halftime.
JB: San Francisco over Baltimore, 28-24. I have to admit I’m extremely hesitant to give Colin Kaepernick — a second-year quarterback that didn’t get the starting job until halfway through the season — the nod over Joe Flacco — an experienced veteran who’s been ridiculously good in these playoffs. But I’m more hesitant to bet against a guy who can run and throw like Kaepernick. The only team that’s made the guy look human is the Seahawks, and that was on a rainy Sunday night in Seattle, one of the toughest places in the NFL for visitors.
Related: PFT’s Super Bowl picks
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)