Feb 1, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
Dustin Penner is finally getting out of the doghouse and it looks like he’ll be part of a reformed line that helped the Los Angeles Kings win the Stanley Cup in 2012.
The 30-year-old forward practiced alongside Mike Richards and Jeff Carter on Friday, according to LA Kings Insider. Those three combined for 15 goals, including six game-winners during the postseason.
Penner’s contributions in the playoffs came as quite a surprise after his rough regular season and helped him land a one-year, $3.25 million contract extension. However, he only played in two games this season before Kings coach Darryl Sutter relegated him to the press box.
After spending four straight games as a healthy scratch, Penner’s getting a second shot.
“I think we have elements that he can bring that we need in our lineup,” Sutter said.
The Kings are 2-2-2 this season and will play the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 2
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1