Feb 1, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
Is there anything else that defines toughness in hockey then when a player gets cut on the face, goes for stitches and returns to the game?
Yes, there is – when it’s a coach who has to get patched up.
That was exactly the case Thursday, when New York Islanders coach Jack Capuano took a puck to the face while on the bench, requiring him to get stitches.
“It’s unbelievable,” Capuano told NHL.com staff writer Mike G. Morreale. “First kidney stone surgery, and then I get hit in the face with the puck. It’s just the way it goes.”
The Islanders eventually won the game 5-4 in overtime.
No lead was safe.
The Islanders jumped out to a 2-0 lead, only to have the Devils come back and tie it up. The Islanders grabbed two more one-goal leads and promptly gave them away.
Brad Boyes scored the winner at 2:01 of overtime, whacking home a loose puck during a goal crease scramble with the Devils short-handed. John Tavares had two goals and an assist, and is up to 11 points on the season.
“Good teams find a way,” Tavares told the New York Daily News. “Good teams that are successful respond. I feel like we are starting to understand what it takes more and more to be a successful team.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)