Feb 1, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
Is there anything else that defines toughness in hockey then when a player gets cut on the face, goes for stitches and returns to the game?
Yes, there is – when it’s a coach who has to get patched up.
That was exactly the case Thursday, when New York Islanders coach Jack Capuano took a puck to the face while on the bench, requiring him to get stitches.
“It’s unbelievable,” Capuano told NHL.com staff writer Mike G. Morreale. “First kidney stone surgery, and then I get hit in the face with the puck. It’s just the way it goes.”
The Islanders eventually won the game 5-4 in overtime.
No lead was safe.
The Islanders jumped out to a 2-0 lead, only to have the Devils come back and tie it up. The Islanders grabbed two more one-goal leads and promptly gave them away.
Brad Boyes scored the winner at 2:01 of overtime, whacking home a loose puck during a goal crease scramble with the Devils short-handed. John Tavares had two goals and an assist, and is up to 11 points on the season.
“Good teams find a way,” Tavares told the New York Daily News. “Good teams that are successful respond. I feel like we are starting to understand what it takes more and more to be a successful team.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control