Feb 1, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Is there anything else that defines toughness in hockey then when a player gets cut on the face, goes for stitches and returns to the game?
Yes, there is – when it’s a coach who has to get patched up.
That was exactly the case Thursday, when New York Islanders coach Jack Capuano took a puck to the face while on the bench, requiring him to get stitches.
“It’s unbelievable,” Capuano told NHL.com staff writer Mike G. Morreale. “First kidney stone surgery, and then I get hit in the face with the puck. It’s just the way it goes.”
The Islanders eventually won the game 5-4 in overtime.
No lead was safe.
The Islanders jumped out to a 2-0 lead, only to have the Devils come back and tie it up. The Islanders grabbed two more one-goal leads and promptly gave them away.
Brad Boyes scored the winner at 2:01 of overtime, whacking home a loose puck during a goal crease scramble with the Devils short-handed. John Tavares had two goals and an assist, and is up to 11 points on the season.
“Good teams find a way,” Tavares told the New York Daily News. “Good teams that are successful respond. I feel like we are starting to understand what it takes more and more to be a successful team.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)