Feb 1, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
The slumping Washington Capitals will switch things up in goal on Friday and start Braden Holtby for the first time in 10 days.
Holtby, last year’s playoff hero, will be between the pipes against Philadelphia, snapping Michal Neuvirth‘s streak of five consecutive starts.
Boasting woeful numbers across the board — 0-2-0, 5.04 GAA, .863 save percentage — Holtby is looking to put his sluggish start to the season behind him.
In this instance, the past is a small sample size (two games, two losses to Winnipeg and Tampa Bay) but large enough for Holtby to realize he needs to play better.
“Obviously I want to forget about them,” he explained. “But there’s a lot of things that I’ve taken out of them that I want to work on and a lot of good things that happened at the same time.
“That’s the way hockey goes.”
It’ll be interesting to see how Caps head coach Adam Oates deals with his goaltending situation after tonight.
The Caps play four games next week — Sunday vs. Pittsburgh, Tuesday vs. Toronto, Thursday at Pittsburgh and Saturday vs. Florida — and it’s possible Oates could go right back to Neuvirth for the majority.
“I obviously understand that we want to get some stability to our game right now and Michal’s giving it to us,” Holtby said prior to Thursday’s 3-2 loss to Toronto. “That’s just the life of being a goaltender.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)