Feb 1, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers and Washington Capitals had all of three wins between them going into Friday’s game.
The two slumping juggernauts were scoreless through the first half of the contest, but sparks had been flying well before the first goal.
“It looked dirty when I first saw it,” Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said, according to Washington Times reporter Stephen Whyno. “Tough hit.”
Philadelphia’s Zac Rinaldo and Washington’s Matt Hendricks got into a fight as a result of the incident and both combatants were ejected from the game. However, Erskine wasn’t punished for his actions.
The silver lining is that Simmonds doesn’t appear to have a concussion based on the initial tests, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi, but he’s still suffering from a head injury and whiplash. Additionally, he’ll have to be tested again tomorrow.
Consequently, Philadelphia probably won’t have Simmonds on Sunday and right now they could use all the help they can get. Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom, Troy Brouwer, and Wojtek Wolski each found the back of the net to lead the Capitals to a 3-2 victory over the Flyers.
With this victory, Washington has leapfrogged over Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference standings. To make matters worse, the Carolina Hurricanes also surpassed the Flyers by shutting out Ottawa tonight.
Philadelphia is now tied with the Florida Panthers for last place in the Eastern Conference, although the Flyers have played in one additional game.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Selanne was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 18
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)