Feb 1, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks renew their rivalry – started during the 2009 playoffs and harbored over three consecutive post-season clashes – Friday at Rogers Arena.
Keith was suspended five games, and Sedin missed the remaining nine regular season games and the first three of Vancouver’s five playoff games against the L.A. Kings.
Sedin was quick to put down any notions of revenge.
His teammates also downplayed such an act, although it’s clear last year’s incident hasn’t been forgotten and may fuel emotions that were previously put on the back burner during the lockout.
“I am not going to lie, there is bitterness, for sure,” defenseman Kevin Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun.
“We’re still not happy about it and I’m sure deep down Danny is not happy about it. But it’s part of the game. I have cheap-shotted guys before, not as bad as that, but it happens in games and you have to accept it.”
It might still be January and the season less than two full weeks old, but Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville already used the term “playoff-mentality” to describe Friday’s showdown.
“There’s good history there. When we go there the building is alive,” Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)