Feb 1, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks renew their rivalry – started during the 2009 playoffs and harbored over three consecutive post-season clashes – Friday at Rogers Arena.
Keith was suspended five games, and Sedin missed the remaining nine regular season games and the first three of Vancouver’s five playoff games against the L.A. Kings.
Sedin was quick to put down any notions of revenge.
His teammates also downplayed such an act, although it’s clear last year’s incident hasn’t been forgotten and may fuel emotions that were previously put on the back burner during the lockout.
“I am not going to lie, there is bitterness, for sure,” defenseman Kevin Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun.
“We’re still not happy about it and I’m sure deep down Danny is not happy about it. But it’s part of the game. I have cheap-shotted guys before, not as bad as that, but it happens in games and you have to accept it.”
It might still be January and the season less than two full weeks old, but Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville already used the term “playoff-mentality” to describe Friday’s showdown.
“There’s good history there. When we go there the building is alive,” Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 2
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 2
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)