Feb 1, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks renew their rivalry – started during the 2009 playoffs and harbored over three consecutive post-season clashes – Friday at Rogers Arena.
Keith was suspended five games, and Sedin missed the remaining nine regular season games and the first three of Vancouver’s five playoff games against the L.A. Kings.
Sedin was quick to put down any notions of revenge.
His teammates also downplayed such an act, although it’s clear last year’s incident hasn’t been forgotten and may fuel emotions that were previously put on the back burner during the lockout.
“I am not going to lie, there is bitterness, for sure,” defenseman Kevin Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun.
“We’re still not happy about it and I’m sure deep down Danny is not happy about it. But it’s part of the game. I have cheap-shotted guys before, not as bad as that, but it happens in games and you have to accept it.”
It might still be January and the season less than two full weeks old, but Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville already used the term “playoff-mentality” to describe Friday’s showdown.
“There’s good history there. When we go there the building is alive,” Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)