Feb 1, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks and Chicago Blackhawks renew their rivalry – started during the 2009 playoffs and harbored over three consecutive post-season clashes – Friday at Rogers Arena.
Keith was suspended five games, and Sedin missed the remaining nine regular season games and the first three of Vancouver’s five playoff games against the L.A. Kings.
Sedin was quick to put down any notions of revenge.
His teammates also downplayed such an act, although it’s clear last year’s incident hasn’t been forgotten and may fuel emotions that were previously put on the back burner during the lockout.
“I am not going to lie, there is bitterness, for sure,” defenseman Kevin Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun.
“We’re still not happy about it and I’m sure deep down Danny is not happy about it. But it’s part of the game. I have cheap-shotted guys before, not as bad as that, but it happens in games and you have to accept it.”
It might still be January and the season less than two full weeks old, but Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville already used the term “playoff-mentality” to describe Friday’s showdown.
“There’s good history there. When we go there the building is alive,” Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune.
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 3
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 37
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (48)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)