Feb 1, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog (head) has already missed three games and he’ll be unavailable for a fourth on Saturday after being placed on the injured reserve list, according to the NHL.com.
Landeskog’s problems stem from a devastating hit by Sharks defenseman Brad Stuart during the first period of Saturday’s 4-0 loss to San Jose.
The Avalanche’s 19-year-old captain immediately left the ice as a result but, in a controversial move, returned to the game and logged a total of 16:23 minutes.
“I felt fine,” Landeskog said the night of the hit. “I was a little weak at first but I was able to take care of it after getting some ice in here [dressing room]. I felt fine after that.”
Landeskog is eligible to be activated in time for Monday’s game, but the team hasn’t provided a timetable for his possible return.
Meanwhile forward Ryan O’Reilly is still a restricted free agent and his contract negotiations are reportedly going nowhere.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28