Jan 31, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
Nail Yakupov did it again. He scored a big goal and then something memorable happened during the celebration.
This time around, the 19-year-old sniper scored the game-winning goal as the Edmonton Oilers topped the Phoenix Coyotes 2-1 in overtime on Wednesday. As you can see, he was far more subdued this time around, but Derek Morris decided to crash the party:
There’s some debate about what, exactly, made the the 34-year-old Coyotes defenseman so irate. Some blame it on Yakupov’s celebration while others think Morris reacted to Ryan Whitney‘s alleged “yapping.” (Most believe it was the latter.)
Either way, it’ll be interesting to see if there’s any fallout from this situation. Should Morris see some supplemental discipline for his actions?
Regardless, it seems like we’ll have to follow how people react to Yakupov’s goal celebrations for a while. He already has a knack for finding the net; goals represent all four of his points so far in his rookie campaign.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)