Jan 31, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
Sounds like Jamie Oleksiak will make his Dallas Stars and NHL debut on Friday against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Oleksiak, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (14th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and recently participated in his first-ever AHL All-Star Game.
It’s a big move that should have Stars fans excited — “big” being the operative word.
Oleksiak is listed at 6-foot-7, 242 pounds and has a massive reach, something that benefited him well during his time in the American league.
Here’s more, from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:
Nicknamed “The Big Rig,” he jumped up from junior hockey last season to become an AHL All-Star Game participant this year. He has played 43 games for the Texas Stars and has 23 points, including three goals.
Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said he expected the towering defenseman to make his NHL debut Friday against Phoenix, then join the team on a three-game trip through Phoenix, Colorado and Edmonton.
“We’ll see what he can do, and then we’ll assess from there,” Nieuwendyk said.
Oleksiak is also known for his hitting ability and fighting skill, the latter of which turned him into something of a minor YouTube legend:
In other Dallas lineup news, Derek Roy won’t play Friday against Phoenix, though head coach Glen Gulutzan is hopeful he can return in time for Monday’s game against Colorado.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21