Jan 31, 2013, 7:37 PM EST
Sounds like Jamie Oleksiak will make his Dallas Stars and NHL debut on Friday against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Oleksiak, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (14th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and recently participated in his first-ever AHL All-Star Game.
It’s a big move that should have Stars fans excited — “big” being the operative word.
Oleksiak is listed at 6-foot-7, 242 pounds and has a massive reach, something that benefited him well during his time in the American league.
Here’s more, from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:
Nicknamed “The Big Rig,” he jumped up from junior hockey last season to become an AHL All-Star Game participant this year. He has played 43 games for the Texas Stars and has 23 points, including three goals.
Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said he expected the towering defenseman to make his NHL debut Friday against Phoenix, then join the team on a three-game trip through Phoenix, Colorado and Edmonton.
“We’ll see what he can do, and then we’ll assess from there,” Nieuwendyk said.
Oleksiak is also known for his hitting ability and fighting skill, the latter of which turned him into something of a minor YouTube legend:
In other Dallas lineup news, Derek Roy won’t play Friday against Phoenix, though head coach Glen Gulutzan is hopeful he can return in time for Monday’s game against Colorado.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)