Jan 31, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Raffi Torres is eligible to return to the Phoenix Coyotes lineup on Saturday against Dallas — and when he does, he vows to be a different player.
“[I'm] just focusing on instead of going for the big hit, just kind of rubbing guys out and trying to take the puck at the same time,” Torres explained. “[Head coach Dave Tippett] showed me a bunch of clips where I was thinking puck first and hit second and it worked out, where I got a lot of scoring chances out of it.
“It’s just a matter of me controlling my emotions throughout the game.”
Torres has one game left to serve on the 21-game suspension — appealed down from 25 games originally — levied after his massive hit on Chicago’s Marian Hossa during last spring’s Western Conference semifinal.
The suspension was a combination of the severity/ferocity of the hit on Hossa, and Torres’ reputation as a repeat offender. He’d been tagged on multiple occasions for dangerous hits — many to the heads of opposing players.
Prior to the Hossa suspension, Torres was dinged four games in 2011 for a hit to the head of Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle (as a member of the Canucks) and two games last season for charging Minnesota Wild defenceman Nate Prosser.
Much like Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke — who was suspended 10 games and the entire opening playoff round in 2011 for a nasty hit on Ryan McDonagh — Torres says a re-evaluation of his game and plenty of video study have helped him become a safer, more aware player.
“Me and Tip sat down and went over that kind of stuff, there might be a little bit more of a magnifying glass on you for the first couple of games, so there’s no need to go out there running around like we’ve talked about,” Torres said. “Just go out there and play the game, try to put myself in some good opportunities to score some goals and make some plays.”
Oct 2, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
And remember, the Stars haven’t signed Brenden Dillon yet.
Oct 2, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Beginning with that blueline.
Oct 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Veteran d-man up for grabs.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Connor Carrick, Garrett Mitchell and Casey Wellman are on their way to Hershey.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Veteran d-man spent the last five years in Minnesota.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
“I don’t want to draw too many comparisons to last year, but with this system we’re going to be able to engage in the battle.”
Oct 2, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
“I don’t take for granted I’m going to be on this team.”
Oct 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Ken Hitchcock says the “playoffs tell you everything.” So what does that say about the Blues?
Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Seventh overall pick at ’14 draft is headed to WHL Red Deer.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
They’re betting on him lasting longer than Spezza.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
They didn’t want another top forward to slip away.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Toronto signed him to a three-year deal in July.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
A few tough breaks and the optimism is eroding a bit.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
That brings the Penguins’ roster down to 31 players.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
- Risk Factors: Philadelphia Flyers edition 2
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 7
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 18
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)