Jan 31, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will have to get by without Jason Spezza for a while. The 29-year-old star forward will undergo back surgery for a herniated disc on Friday and is out “indefinitely,” the club announced today.
It’s not clear how long his recovery will take — the Sens are hoping he’ll be back for the playoffs.
With Spezza gone, the Senators will need to look elsewhere for offense. Fortunately, the team hasn’t had any problems in that regard early this season. Forwards Kyle Turris and Milan Michalek are off to superb starts while Erik Karlsson continues to be one of the top offensive defenseman in the NHL.
Ottawa has a 5-1-1 record and has averaged an impressive 3.43 goals per contest. Still, maintaining that pace will be quite a challenge, especially without its leading scorer in 2011-12.
Spezza has already missed two games due to the injury, both of them Sens victories.
May 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Can they accomplish both?
May 5, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Red Wings brass hoping a little “adversity” is good for the 2013 first-round pick.
May 5, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
They’re facing down the dreaded 10th game tonight.
May 5, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
The Big Ten’s freshman of the year in 2013-14 heads back to school.
May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
His baffling postseason struggles continued in Game 3.
May 5, 2015, 10:16 AM EDT
Rangy defenseman has enjoyed a hectic 2014-15 campaign.
May 5, 2015, 9:38 AM EDT
It was a good run.
May 5, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Two Game 3’s on the docket.
May 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.
May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.
May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
May 4, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Her husband faces domestic violence charges.
May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
And they’ll gladly keep taking man advantage opportunities, too.
May 4, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
“Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him.”
May 4, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Big news from the Devils.
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 64
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)