Jan 31, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will have to get by without Jason Spezza for a while. The 29-year-old star forward will undergo back surgery for a herniated disc on Friday and is out “indefinitely,” the club announced today.
It’s not clear how long his recovery will take — the Sens are hoping he’ll be back for the playoffs.
With Spezza gone, the Senators will need to look elsewhere for offense. Fortunately, the team hasn’t had any problems in that regard early this season. Forwards Kyle Turris and Milan Michalek are off to superb starts while Erik Karlsson continues to be one of the top offensive defenseman in the NHL.
Ottawa has a 5-1-1 record and has averaged an impressive 3.43 goals per contest. Still, maintaining that pace will be quite a challenge, especially without its leading scorer in 2011-12.
Spezza has already missed two games due to the injury, both of them Sens victories.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights