Jan 31, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
After announcing he’d purchased shares from a pair of former investors in the organization, Sharks majority owner Hasso Plattner sat down with a group of reporters to discuss owning a hockey team.
Specifically, how it doesn’t make him any money.
“You cannot make money with a hockey team,” he explained. “You cannot make money with a hotel, either, and you cannot make money with a golf club. I have all three of them (laughs).”
Here’s more, from CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz:
Investors Kevin Compton and Stratton Sclavos, who were the acting figureheads of the company, have sold their shares to Plattner, it was announced by the team on Wednesday.
The reasons for their decision and departure are private…
…“We want to continue as much as possible the same way,” said Plattner, who had a majority share of the company even before acquiring Compton’s and Sclavos’ shares.
“We still want to have a championship team and win the Stanley Cup. That’s clearly the number one objective of a sports club, otherwise you should not be in the sports business.”
Plattner also wants to make sure the Sharks, who claimed a loss of $15 million last season, have a sustainable business model. He has no fantasies of turning a major profit, though.
“The financial situation is not better this year than last year,” he said. “On the other hand, I said this to the employees, don’t worry. My credit line is good enough, if you look it up.
Plattner is the co-founder of SAP, one of the world’s largest software companies. According to Forbes, he is the world’s 127th richest man and has a net worth of approximately $7.2 billion.
The golf club/resort he owns is the Fancourt Estate in South Africa, which features a luxury hotel and four Gary Player-designed courses — its links course hosted the 2003 Presidents Cup.
So as you can see, the man has quite the financial portfolio and sporting background. Why, then, invest in a hockey team he readily admits can’t make money?
“Despite it’s such a hard sport, and tough sport, and sometimes violent, it is aesthetically unbelievable when you see the guys and what they can do on skates at the tempo,” he said.
“This is missing in soccer.”
Dec 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
He had three head or neck injuries last season.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
He’s battled injuries the past two seasons.
Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
He was their fourth-round pick in 2009.
Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
He was the Panthers’ all-time leader in assists.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Losing blue liners is not optimal.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
It’s getting grumpy in Winnipeg.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
That’s a big sigh of relief for Boston.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
It’s all about the chances.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Phoenix goes to Vancouver shorthanded.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Columbus dominated Minnesota 4-0 on Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Recalled forward Zach Boychuk played Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
After 15 seasons and two Stanley Cup victories.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Worse yet, another high Tampa Bay draft pick delivered the blow.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
According to Fox Sports Detroit.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Damaged defense in Dallas.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)