Jan 31, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT
Things started slow between the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins, as is sometimes the case with so much hype surrounding one game.
But then the puck dropped on the second period and the goals began piling up. Thomas Vanek scored a hat trick and added two assists for a five-point game, as the Sabres outlasted the Bruins by a score of 7-4.
The Bruins enjoyed leads of 3-1 and 4-3, before the Sabres roared back with four unanswered goals in the third period.
The big story coming into the game was whether the Sabres would seek retribution on Bruins bruising forward Milan Lucic for running goalie Ryan Miller last year.
The loss in the Bruins’ first in regulation this season, but it could prove more costly.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reported Bergeron returned to the game.
Haggerty also reported, based on an indication from head coach Claude Julien, that Daniel Paille was being evaluated after taking a high stick in the third period.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)