Jan 31, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Things started slow between the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins, as is sometimes the case with so much hype surrounding one game.
But then the puck dropped on the second period and the goals began piling up. Thomas Vanek scored a hat trick and added two assists for a five-point game, as the Sabres outlasted the Bruins by a score of 7-4.
The Bruins enjoyed leads of 3-1 and 4-3, before the Sabres roared back with four unanswered goals in the third period.
The big story coming into the game was whether the Sabres would seek retribution on Bruins bruising forward Milan Lucic for running goalie Ryan Miller last year.
The loss in the Bruins’ first in regulation this season, but it could prove more costly.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reported Bergeron returned to the game.
Haggerty also reported, based on an indication from head coach Claude Julien, that Daniel Paille was being evaluated after taking a high stick in the third period.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)