Jan 31, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT
Things started slow between the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins, as is sometimes the case with so much hype surrounding one game.
But then the puck dropped on the second period and the goals began piling up. Thomas Vanek scored a hat trick and added two assists for a five-point game, as the Sabres outlasted the Bruins by a score of 7-4.
The Bruins enjoyed leads of 3-1 and 4-3, before the Sabres roared back with four unanswered goals in the third period.
The big story coming into the game was whether the Sabres would seek retribution on Bruins bruising forward Milan Lucic for running goalie Ryan Miller last year.
The loss in the Bruins’ first in regulation this season, but it could prove more costly.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reported Bergeron returned to the game.
Haggerty also reported, based on an indication from head coach Claude Julien, that Daniel Paille was being evaluated after taking a high stick in the third period.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)