Jan 31, 2013, 2:23 PM EST
With new additions John Scott and Steve Ott, the Buffalo Sabres are a tougher team than the one that was embarrassed early last season when Boston’s Milan Lucic ran over Ryan Miller without suffering any consequences.
But the Sabres have also lost four straight heading into tonight’s game against the Bruins at TD Garden.
As such, head coach Lindy Ruff is more concerned with his team getting a victory than proving it’s not afraid of the big, bad B’s.
“You try to win the puck battles and the territorial battles,” Ruff said today, per the Buffalo News. “We have to win a game. Not coming out of here with points is not being successful. In a short season we need points. We’ve answered the physical challenge. We’ve been there for each other from day one in this. We play a gritty style, a hitting style. We have to win games.”
Ruff also noted that the Sabres have already played the Bruins since the Lucic incident, and that Paul Gaustad dropped the gloves with the menacing Boston winger.
Still, don’t be surprised if there’s a scrap or two tonight. When Scott signed with the Sabres this summer, he promised nobody would get away with running Miller again.
Plus, if Scott can convince Lucic to go — and what’s Lucic going to say? No? — that would be a nice trade-off for the Sabres.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
D-man was invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
That’s the “strong sense” one prominent hockey reporter is getting.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Former Avalanche forward saw his career end after Todd Bertuzzi incident.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
“There are multiple, easy avenues that seem like they’re the way to go but there are 30 teams in this league that are doing the same thing and trying to effect that ultimate goal and that’s to win the Stanley Cup.”
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
King Henrik hasn’t been so good since signing that big contract extension.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Rookie defenseman scored his first NHL goal earlier this week.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
Vancouver defenseman was knocked out of Tuesday’s game following a tripping call.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Boston forward avoids supplemental discipline.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
GM George McPhee said it was “a great hit.”
Dec 18, 2013, 9:18 AM EST
Pittsburgh has won nine of their last 10.
Dec 18, 2013, 8:20 AM EST
That and all the links to start your day.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:21 AM EST
A relative unknown is now the hottest goalie in the NHL.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
In more ways than one.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:07 PM EST
Only one point separate these teams now.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
Brutal stuff for Evgeni Nabokov & Co.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Both teams’ differing streaks continue.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
Florida’s entourage wins fourth in a row.
Dec 17, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Notice a theme tonight?
Dec 17, 2013, 9:21 PM EST
His boarding hit could draw more than a minor penalty.
Dec 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EST
The Ducks star managed to return.
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 0
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 21
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 57
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 101
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)