Jan 31, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
It didn’t take long for the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins to engage in fisticuffs.
Roughly three minutes into their highly-anticipated grudge match — the first since Buffalo’s offseason beef-up, pegged by many as a response to the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident — one of the Sabres’ acquisitions, 6-foot-8 John Scott, got into it with Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton:
Not an epic tilt or anything, but definitely a shift in approach for the Sabres — and to Scott’s credit, he made good on what was promised upon being signed by Buffalo.
“John’s size and toughness make him a difficult player to battle against,” Buffalo GM Regier said upon signing him. “His physical play will be a valuable addition to our team.”
Of course, employing Scott means having to deal with him, you know, actually playing hockey. And that nearly got the Sabres in trouble late in the first period, when Scott took a bad elbowing penalty on Rich Peverley.
Update: According to multiple sources, Thornton was injured during the fight and won’t return to the contest.
Here’s more, from CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
Shawn Thornton had a lengthy chat with big John Scott during pregame warm-ups and it was pretty clear the two were planning out a bout once things got started. Thornton tried to get a hold of Scott so he could grapple with the 6-foot-8, 260-pound brute, but Scott landed a series of overhand right punches that sent the B’s enforcer tumbling to the ice.
He skated off to the dressing room as soon as his penalty was over and never returned to the bench in the first period. He won’t return to the game tonight. Not good.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)