Jan 31, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins to engage in fisticuffs.
Roughly three minutes into their highly-anticipated grudge match — the first since Buffalo’s offseason beef-up, pegged by many as a response to the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident — one of the Sabres’ acquisitions, 6-foot-8 John Scott, got into it with Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton:
Not an epic tilt or anything, but definitely a shift in approach for the Sabres — and to Scott’s credit, he made good on what was promised upon being signed by Buffalo.
“John’s size and toughness make him a difficult player to battle against,” Buffalo GM Regier said upon signing him. “His physical play will be a valuable addition to our team.”
Of course, employing Scott means having to deal with him, you know, actually playing hockey. And that nearly got the Sabres in trouble late in the first period, when Scott took a bad elbowing penalty on Rich Peverley.
Update: According to multiple sources, Thornton was injured during the fight and won’t return to the contest.
Here’s more, from CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
Shawn Thornton had a lengthy chat with big John Scott during pregame warm-ups and it was pretty clear the two were planning out a bout once things got started. Thornton tried to get a hold of Scott so he could grapple with the 6-foot-8, 260-pound brute, but Scott landed a series of overhand right punches that sent the B’s enforcer tumbling to the ice.
He skated off to the dressing room as soon as his penalty was over and never returned to the bench in the first period. He won’t return to the game tonight. Not good.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)