Jan 31, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins to engage in fisticuffs.
Roughly three minutes into their highly-anticipated grudge match — the first since Buffalo’s offseason beef-up, pegged by many as a response to the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident — one of the Sabres’ acquisitions, 6-foot-8 John Scott, got into it with Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton:
Not an epic tilt or anything, but definitely a shift in approach for the Sabres — and to Scott’s credit, he made good on what was promised upon being signed by Buffalo.
“John’s size and toughness make him a difficult player to battle against,” Buffalo GM Regier said upon signing him. “His physical play will be a valuable addition to our team.”
Of course, employing Scott means having to deal with him, you know, actually playing hockey. And that nearly got the Sabres in trouble late in the first period, when Scott took a bad elbowing penalty on Rich Peverley.
Update: According to multiple sources, Thornton was injured during the fight and won’t return to the contest.
Here’s more, from CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
Shawn Thornton had a lengthy chat with big John Scott during pregame warm-ups and it was pretty clear the two were planning out a bout once things got started. Thornton tried to get a hold of Scott so he could grapple with the 6-foot-8, 260-pound brute, but Scott landed a series of overhand right punches that sent the B’s enforcer tumbling to the ice.
He skated off to the dressing room as soon as his penalty was over and never returned to the bench in the first period. He won’t return to the game tonight. Not good.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)