Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
A couple of waiver pick-ups to pass on, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
First, the Penguins have claimed forward Zach Boychuk from Carolina. The 23-year-old has played just one game for the Hurricanes this season, with no points.
Drafted 14th overall in 2008, Boychuk’s NHL career has been a disappointment to date. He has, however, put up good numbers in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers (32 points in 37 games this season), and apparently he may get a shot on Evgeni Malkin’s line in Pittsburgh.
Second, the Maple Leafs have claimed forward Frazer McLaren from San Jose.
Like Boyhcuk, the 25-year-old has spent most of the season in the AHL, appearing in just one game for the Sharks.
Unlike Boychuk, McLaren is mostly known for his toughness.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33