Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
A couple of waiver pick-ups to pass on, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
First, the Penguins have claimed forward Zach Boychuk from Carolina. The 23-year-old has played just one game for the Hurricanes this season, with no points.
Drafted 14th overall in 2008, Boychuk’s NHL career has been a disappointment to date. He has, however, put up good numbers in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers (32 points in 37 games this season), and apparently he may get a shot on Evgeni Malkin’s line in Pittsburgh.
Second, the Maple Leafs have claimed forward Frazer McLaren from San Jose.
Like Boyhcuk, the 25-year-old has spent most of the season in the AHL, appearing in just one game for the Sharks.
Unlike Boychuk, McLaren is mostly known for his toughness.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 0
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 11
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25