Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
A couple of waiver pick-ups to pass on, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
First, the Penguins have claimed forward Zach Boychuk from Carolina. The 23-year-old has played just one game for the Hurricanes this season, with no points.
Drafted 14th overall in 2008, Boychuk’s NHL career has been a disappointment to date. He has, however, put up good numbers in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers (32 points in 37 games this season), and apparently he may get a shot on Evgeni Malkin’s line in Pittsburgh.
Second, the Maple Leafs have claimed forward Frazer McLaren from San Jose.
Like Boyhcuk, the 25-year-old has spent most of the season in the AHL, appearing in just one game for the Sharks.
Unlike Boychuk, McLaren is mostly known for his toughness.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)