Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
A couple of waiver pick-ups to pass on, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
First, the Penguins have claimed forward Zach Boychuk from Carolina. The 23-year-old has played just one game for the Hurricanes this season, with no points.
Drafted 14th overall in 2008, Boychuk’s NHL career has been a disappointment to date. He has, however, put up good numbers in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers (32 points in 37 games this season), and apparently he may get a shot on Evgeni Malkin’s line in Pittsburgh.
Second, the Maple Leafs have claimed forward Frazer McLaren from San Jose.
Like Boyhcuk, the 25-year-old has spent most of the season in the AHL, appearing in just one game for the Sharks.
Unlike Boychuk, McLaren is mostly known for his toughness.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (71)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)