Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
A couple of waiver pick-ups to pass on, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
First, the Penguins have claimed forward Zach Boychuk from Carolina. The 23-year-old has played just one game for the Hurricanes this season, with no points.
Drafted 14th overall in 2008, Boychuk’s NHL career has been a disappointment to date. He has, however, put up good numbers in the AHL with the Charlotte Checkers (32 points in 37 games this season), and apparently he may get a shot on Evgeni Malkin’s line in Pittsburgh.
Second, the Maple Leafs have claimed forward Frazer McLaren from San Jose.
Like Boyhcuk, the 25-year-old has spent most of the season in the AHL, appearing in just one game for the Sharks.
Unlike Boychuk, McLaren is mostly known for his toughness.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54