Jan 31, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo will start his third straight game Friday night when the Canucks host the Chicago Blackhawks.
The news comes one day after Luongo (1.61 GAA, .938 SV%) shut out the Avalanche in a 3-0 Vancouver victory.
The 33-year-old, who many thought would be traded by now, was also very good Monday against the Kings, despite losing 3-2 in a shootout.
Meanwhile, Cory Schneider will sit and watch as the man he was supposed to replace as starter gets the nod against one of the Canucks’ biggest rivals.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis addressed his team’s goaltending situation today on TEAM 1040 radio, saying Luongo deserves to start based on the past two games.
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 0
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)