Jan 31, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison has requested more time from the City of Glendale to complete his purchase of the franchise.
The answer from the city is no.
Glendale mayor Jerry Weiers told the Arizona Republic that he was contacted late last night, through an attorney representing Jamison, about extending today’s deadline. But Weiers confirmed that, once the day is done, the 20-year arena management deal that’s considered vital to completing the sale of the Coyotes is off the table.
“The bottom line is that Jamison himself hasn’t talked with me,” Weiers told the paper. “I do know that a group trying to help Jamison or trying to get involved with Jamison – however you want to word it – they’re trying to figure out a way to keep his deal afloat.”
Yesterday, ESPN reported that Jamison had failed to raise the required amount of capital to purchase the team from the NHL.
The ESPN report, by the way, came one day after a Phoenix Business Journal report said Jamison was set to close on the purchase.
If Jamison doesn’t meet today’s deadline, it’s not likely he’ll have an easygoing negotiating partner in Weiers, who was not the mayor when the arena-management deal was negotiated.
Upon being elected in November, Weiers sent a strong message to the Coyotes: “Glendale is not your cash register.”
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 30
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 16
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement