Jan 31, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
Prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison has requested more time from the City of Glendale to complete his purchase of the franchise.
The answer from the city is no.
Glendale mayor Jerry Weiers told the Arizona Republic that he was contacted late last night, through an attorney representing Jamison, about extending today’s deadline. But Weiers confirmed that, once the day is done, the 20-year arena management deal that’s considered vital to completing the sale of the Coyotes is off the table.
“The bottom line is that Jamison himself hasn’t talked with me,” Weiers told the paper. “I do know that a group trying to help Jamison or trying to get involved with Jamison – however you want to word it – they’re trying to figure out a way to keep his deal afloat.”
Yesterday, ESPN reported that Jamison had failed to raise the required amount of capital to purchase the team from the NHL.
The ESPN report, by the way, came one day after a Phoenix Business Journal report said Jamison was set to close on the purchase.
If Jamison doesn’t meet today’s deadline, it’s not likely he’ll have an easygoing negotiating partner in Weiers, who was not the mayor when the arena-management deal was negotiated.
Upon being elected in November, Weiers sent a strong message to the Coyotes: “Glendale is not your cash register.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)