Jan 31, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Claude Giroux insists he isn’t hurt; he’s just not playing well.
“Obviously, I’m not happy with my game,” the Flyers’ captain said Thursday. “But it’s only seven games. It’s a long season. I’m staying positive, and things are going to turn around pretty quick.”
Giroux has just four points this season, and he’s been held pointless in four of his last five games. Thus, the questions about his health.
Giroux hasn’t looked like his old self in recent days. He’s been slow on the backcheck and hasn’t been able to make the plays he’s become known for. It has led to plenty of speculation about whether the 25-year-old might be nursing a minor injury, perhaps his wrist or groin – something that wouldn’t affect his ability to practice or to play, but might affect the outcome when he does.
Again though, Giroux says he’s healthy.
The Flyers fell to 2-5-0 with Tuesday’s loss to the Rangers. Tomorrow, they’re in Washington to play another struggling team, the 1-4-1 Capitals.
In an attempt to generate some offense, head coach Peter Laviolette has moved Danny Briere up onto the top line with Giroux and Wayne Simmonds.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)