Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski will miss the club’s next two games after suffering a knee injury during Tuesday’s loss to the Lightning.
Jovanovski, 36, was hurt when he went knee-on-knee with Tampa Bay forward B.J. Crombeen and only played one shift in the third period before leaving the contest.
On Thursday, Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said Jovanovski visited Dr. John Uribe in Miami on Wednesday, and that the examination revealed no structural damage to the knee.
Losing Jovanovski will undoubtedly hurt a Florida team already decimated by injury. He’s averaged close to 17 minutes per game (racking up one assist) and now enters the infirmary alongside Erik Gudbranson, Stephen Weiss and Sean Bergenheim.
On the bright side for Florida, one player will soon be returning from injury — Marcel Goc.
The German forward will make his season debut on Thursday against the Jets, after missing the first six games of the regular season with an ankle injury.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 3
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 18
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights