Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski will miss the club’s next two games after suffering a knee injury during Tuesday’s loss to the Lightning.
Jovanovski, 36, was hurt when he went knee-on-knee with Tampa Bay forward B.J. Crombeen and only played one shift in the third period before leaving the contest.
On Thursday, Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said Jovanovski visited Dr. John Uribe in Miami on Wednesday, and that the examination revealed no structural damage to the knee.
Losing Jovanovski will undoubtedly hurt a Florida team already decimated by injury. He’s averaged close to 17 minutes per game (racking up one assist) and now enters the infirmary alongside Erik Gudbranson, Stephen Weiss and Sean Bergenheim.
On the bright side for Florida, one player will soon be returning from injury — Marcel Goc.
The German forward will make his season debut on Thursday against the Jets, after missing the first six games of the regular season with an ankle injury.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)