Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski will miss the club’s next two games after suffering a knee injury during Tuesday’s loss to the Lightning.
Jovanovski, 36, was hurt when he went knee-on-knee with Tampa Bay forward B.J. Crombeen and only played one shift in the third period before leaving the contest.
On Thursday, Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said Jovanovski visited Dr. John Uribe in Miami on Wednesday, and that the examination revealed no structural damage to the knee.
Losing Jovanovski will undoubtedly hurt a Florida team already decimated by injury. He’s averaged close to 17 minutes per game (racking up one assist) and now enters the infirmary alongside Erik Gudbranson, Stephen Weiss and Sean Bergenheim.
On the bright side for Florida, one player will soon be returning from injury — Marcel Goc.
The German forward will make his season debut on Thursday against the Jets, after missing the first six games of the regular season with an ankle injury.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)