Jan 31, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
“I was skating and my left skate seemed to have caught a rut in the ice and my legs kind of went into a splits position,” Baertschi told the Flames website. “I felt pain immediately and left the ice to have it checked.
“It’s very disappointing to learn that it’s a hip flexor injury that will keep me out of the lineup.”
Baertschi, 20, burst onto the scene last year in a brief five-game cameo for the Flames, scoring three goals while wowing fans with his impressive mix of skill and speed.
“Svenmania” was Calgary’s answer to Linsanity there for a while.
The 13th overall selection at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Baertschi played extremely well for AHL Abbotsford during the lockout — 18 points in 21 games — but has struggled in the NHL season, failing to register a point through four games.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)