Jan 31, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
“I was skating and my left skate seemed to have caught a rut in the ice and my legs kind of went into a splits position,” Baertschi told the Flames website. “I felt pain immediately and left the ice to have it checked.
“It’s very disappointing to learn that it’s a hip flexor injury that will keep me out of the lineup.”
Baertschi, 20, burst onto the scene last year in a brief five-game cameo for the Flames, scoring three goals while wowing fans with his impressive mix of skill and speed.
“Svenmania” was Calgary’s answer to Linsanity there for a while.
The 13th overall selection at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Baertschi played extremely well for AHL Abbotsford during the lockout — 18 points in 21 games — but has struggled in the NHL season, failing to register a point through four games.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 28
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 10
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 110
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (111)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)