Jan 31, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
“I was skating and my left skate seemed to have caught a rut in the ice and my legs kind of went into a splits position,” Baertschi told the Flames website. “I felt pain immediately and left the ice to have it checked.
“It’s very disappointing to learn that it’s a hip flexor injury that will keep me out of the lineup.”
Baertschi, 20, burst onto the scene last year in a brief five-game cameo for the Flames, scoring three goals while wowing fans with his impressive mix of skill and speed.
“Svenmania” was Calgary’s answer to Linsanity there for a while.
The 13th overall selection at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Baertschi played extremely well for AHL Abbotsford during the lockout — 18 points in 21 games — but has struggled in the NHL season, failing to register a point through four games.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)