Jan 31, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
“I was skating and my left skate seemed to have caught a rut in the ice and my legs kind of went into a splits position,” Baertschi told the Flames website. “I felt pain immediately and left the ice to have it checked.
“It’s very disappointing to learn that it’s a hip flexor injury that will keep me out of the lineup.”
Baertschi, 20, burst onto the scene last year in a brief five-game cameo for the Flames, scoring three goals while wowing fans with his impressive mix of skill and speed.
“Svenmania” was Calgary’s answer to Linsanity there for a while.
The 13th overall selection at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Baertschi played extremely well for AHL Abbotsford during the lockout — 18 points in 21 games — but has struggled in the NHL season, failing to register a point through four games.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)