Jan 31, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
With three fighting majors in his first six games as a Red Wing, Jordin Tootoo has made it pretty clear chucking knuckles will be a major part of his role this season.
And just in case there was any doubt, he told the Macomb Daily the same thing.
“That’s part of my DNA, to bring emotion into the game and having guys feed off of that,” Tootoo said. “I feel great. Let’s get after it again. I still had one more fight in me. I mean, it is what it is, but it is all part of the game.
“For me I don’t mind doing that part.”
It didn’t take Tootoo long to register his first fight wearing the winged wheel. After going silent in a 6-0 drubbing in St. Louis to open the season, he started off the next game with a scrap against Columbus’ Jared Boll:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Three games later, Tootoo was back at it again, this time fighting Dallas’ Eric Nystrom off the hop:
Then — 16 minutes later — Tootoo got into a spirited tilt with Brenden Dillon:
Tootoo’s enthusiasm for fighting — and number of fights — isn’t something the Red Wings are used to.
They finished with the fewest fighting majors (15) in the league last season…and in 2010-11 (with 13)…and in 2009-10 (with 19).
Amazingly, there was actually one season — 2006-07 — where Tootoo fought more times (12) than the entire Detroit team (10).
“We’re not really used to seeing that,” Wings goalie Jimmy Howard said. “But Toots goes out there and sets the tone for us, whether it’s a big hit or dropping the gloves.
“He got the crowd into it early for us.”
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST
Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST
Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Columbus’ star center is having a nice little run at the moment.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
They also summoned Josh Anderson.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:23 AM EST
“Everybody felt like I just want a car to drive it.”
Jan 26, 2015, 10:55 AM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk deemed it a “worthy tournament,” though.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:51 AM EST
Including an intriguing game between the Islanders and Rangers.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:47 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
“We’re so proud of our city for showing that hockey is such a big deal here.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
“This is something I’ll remember for a very long time.”
Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs
Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
“I remember them being quiet in the end when we won.”
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (103)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)