Jan 31, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
With three fighting majors in his first six games as a Red Wing, Jordin Tootoo has made it pretty clear chucking knuckles will be a major part of his role this season.
And just in case there was any doubt, he told the Macomb Daily the same thing.
“That’s part of my DNA, to bring emotion into the game and having guys feed off of that,” Tootoo said. “I feel great. Let’s get after it again. I still had one more fight in me. I mean, it is what it is, but it is all part of the game.
“For me I don’t mind doing that part.”
It didn’t take Tootoo long to register his first fight wearing the winged wheel. After going silent in a 6-0 drubbing in St. Louis to open the season, he started off the next game with a scrap against Columbus’ Jared Boll:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Three games later, Tootoo was back at it again, this time fighting Dallas’ Eric Nystrom off the hop:
Then — 16 minutes later — Tootoo got into a spirited tilt with Brenden Dillon:
Tootoo’s enthusiasm for fighting — and number of fights — isn’t something the Red Wings are used to.
They finished with the fewest fighting majors (15) in the league last season…and in 2010-11 (with 13)…and in 2009-10 (with 19).
Amazingly, there was actually one season — 2006-07 — where Tootoo fought more times (12) than the entire Detroit team (10).
“We’re not really used to seeing that,” Wings goalie Jimmy Howard said. “But Toots goes out there and sets the tone for us, whether it’s a big hit or dropping the gloves.
“He got the crowd into it early for us.”
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Was rushed to hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)