Jan 31, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
Never one to pull punches, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater wrote quite the passionate column following Colorado’s 3-0 loss last night in Vancouver.
As in the past, Dater’s biggest issue is with, in his words, “the tone-deaf upper management that tries to rule by fear and denial.”
Look, this is the deal with the Avalanche: coaches and all other personnel are instructed to keep it positive. Don’t criticize the brand, spin it as positive as you can, don’t get negative, have a “Nothing to see here, move on” persona whenever the S hits the fan on or off the ice. This is what anyone who works for the Avalanche in any capacity is instructed to do, or else consider yourself on the next plane out of town if you don’t.
Dater notes the less-than-disparaging post-game comments of head coach Joe Sacco after losing to the Canucks as evidence of the organization’s PR strategy.
Anyway, it’s worth a read.
But if they don’t turn it around soon, they’re going to miss the playoffs for the third time in a row, and the fifth time in the last seven seasons.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)