Jan 31, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
Never one to pull punches, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater wrote quite the passionate column following Colorado’s 3-0 loss last night in Vancouver.
As in the past, Dater’s biggest issue is with, in his words, “the tone-deaf upper management that tries to rule by fear and denial.”
Look, this is the deal with the Avalanche: coaches and all other personnel are instructed to keep it positive. Don’t criticize the brand, spin it as positive as you can, don’t get negative, have a “Nothing to see here, move on” persona whenever the S hits the fan on or off the ice. This is what anyone who works for the Avalanche in any capacity is instructed to do, or else consider yourself on the next plane out of town if you don’t.
Dater notes the less-than-disparaging post-game comments of head coach Joe Sacco after losing to the Canucks as evidence of the organization’s PR strategy.
Anyway, it’s worth a read.
But if they don’t turn it around soon, they’re going to miss the playoffs for the third time in a row, and the fifth time in the last seven seasons.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)