Jan 31, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
There was a welcome sight on the ice for Washington during Wednesday’s morning skate in Toronto — Brooks Laich.
The veteran forward participated in a morning skate for the first time this season as his mates prepped to face the Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.
Laich, 29, has been held out of all six Capitals games with a groin injury suffered while playing in the Swiss league during the lockout.
While Washington has yet to put a timetable on Laich’s return, it’s obvious they’d love to have him in the lineup soon.
The versatile forward is been one of the Caps’ heart and soul guys, having spent eight years in the nation’s capital.
In 2011-12, Laich led all Washington forwards in blocked shots (92) while still managing to score 16G-25A-41PTS, sixth-most on the club.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)