Jan 31, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
There was a welcome sight on the ice for Washington during Wednesday’s morning skate in Toronto — Brooks Laich.
The veteran forward participated in a morning skate for the first time this season as his mates prepped to face the Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.
Laich, 29, has been held out of all six Capitals games with a groin injury suffered while playing in the Swiss league during the lockout.
While Washington has yet to put a timetable on Laich’s return, it’s obvious they’d love to have him in the lineup soon.
The versatile forward is been one of the Caps’ heart and soul guys, having spent eight years in the nation’s capital.
In 2011-12, Laich led all Washington forwards in blocked shots (92) while still managing to score 16G-25A-41PTS, sixth-most on the club.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 22
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)