Jan 31, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
There was a welcome sight on the ice for Washington during Wednesday’s morning skate in Toronto — Brooks Laich.
The veteran forward participated in a morning skate for the first time this season as his mates prepped to face the Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.
Laich, 29, has been held out of all six Capitals games with a groin injury suffered while playing in the Swiss league during the lockout.
While Washington has yet to put a timetable on Laich’s return, it’s obvious they’d love to have him in the lineup soon.
The versatile forward is been one of the Caps’ heart and soul guys, having spent eight years in the nation’s capital.
In 2011-12, Laich led all Washington forwards in blocked shots (92) while still managing to score 16G-25A-41PTS, sixth-most on the club.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)