Jan 31, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
Minor trade to pass along — Washington has acquired forward Casey Wellman from Florida in exchange for center Zach Hamill.
Wellman, 25, originally signed with the Wild in 2010 as an undrafted free agent out of the University of Massachusetts. In 41 games with the Wild — his only career NHL games — he scored four times with nine assists.
Wellman found his way to the Panthers organization this summer (via the Rangers). In 37 games this season with AHL San Antonio, he has seven goals and 16 assists.
Hamill — a prolific scorer during his junior days with the WHL’s Everett Silvertips — was drafted eighth overall by Boston in 2007; however, he’s only played 20 NHL games since then, all with the Bruins, scoring no goals with four assists.
The 24-year-old was traded to the Caps in May. In 40 games this season with AHL Hersey, he has 11 goals and 11 assists.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)