Jan 31, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
Minor trade to pass along — Washington has acquired forward Casey Wellman from Florida in exchange for center Zach Hamill.
Wellman, 25, originally signed with the Wild in 2010 as an undrafted free agent out of the University of Massachusetts. In 41 games with the Wild — his only career NHL games — he scored four times with nine assists.
Wellman found his way to the Panthers organization this summer (via the Rangers). In 37 games this season with AHL San Antonio, he has seven goals and 16 assists.
Hamill — a prolific scorer during his junior days with the WHL’s Everett Silvertips — was drafted eighth overall by Boston in 2007; however, he’s only played 20 NHL games since then, all with the Bruins, scoring no goals with four assists.
The 24-year-old was traded to the Caps in May. In 40 games this season with AHL Hersey, he has 11 goals and 11 assists.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50