Skinner denies Boston’s slew-footing accusations

Jan 30, 2013, 11:09 AM EST

Carolina forward Jeff Skinner has taken issue with comments made by the Bruins suggesting he slew-footed Patrice Bergeron in the waning moments of Boston’s 5-3 win on Monday.

“I don’t think that’s what happened,” Skinner told the Raleigh News and Observer. “I think [Bergeron] stepped in front of me and we both fell back. I looked at the tape and my hips were open. I don’t know how you can pull somebody back over your leg when your hips are open.

“I think my left foot was off the ice there and we were both off-balance. We got tangled up.”

Here’s video of the incident, with the *alleged* Skinner slew foot on Bergeron (who, by the way, told Boston media “I know he did it,” when discussing Skinner’s actions).

Everything gets going behind the Boston goal at the five second mark:

Skinner told the News and Observer he watched the replay six times before reaching his conclusion.

“We got tangled up. I don’t know what else to say,” he explained. “He puts his stick across my body and latches on to me and we both fell backward. I really don’t know what I’m supposed to do in that situation.”

As for Brad Marchand‘s accusations that Skinner slew-foots “all the time” — well, either the paper didn’t ask Skinner about his reputation as a serial slew-footer, or he didn’t respond.

The 20-year-old forward does have a history with this sort of thing, having been accused of slew-footing Caps defenseman Dmitry Orlov last March.

Latest Posts
  1. Rangers take the positives out of OT loss to Red Wings

Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST

Cam Talbot AP

Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.

2. Video: Hammond, Senators win again

Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST

Ottawa Senators v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

What a roll he and the Sens are on.

3. Video: Iginla reaches 20-goal mark for 16th time in NHL career

Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche

He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.

4. Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST

Marek Zidlicky, Jesper Fast AP

What better way to make an impression on new teammates.

5. Video: Byfuglien leaves game with upper-body injury

Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Dustin Byfuglien Getty

Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.

6. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

7. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

8. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

9. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

10. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

11. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline