Jan 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
Depth is a strength for the Los Angeles Kings, but that can be bad news for younger players trying to advance their careers.
Forward Andrei Loktionov has requested a trade with the team’s logjam at center in mind; meanwhile, Jonathan Bernier has backed off his own demands to an extent, according to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.
Bernier admits he wants to steal more starts from Jonathan Quick. That’s pretty reasonable since the 24-year-old is in the last year of his current deal, even if accomplishing that task is a tall order.
“I can’t really do anything about it,” Bernier said. “It has been two years since I’ve been in (this) situation. I just want to play. With the (compressed) schedule now, things can change a lot. Hopefully Suttsy can squeeze me in for a few.”
(Suttsy is the hockey-stereotypical nickname for Darryl Sutter, in case you were wondering.)
While Bernier contends with the prominent 27-year-old netminder, Loktionov finds himself buried in the AHL and stuck behind centers Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards and Jarret Stoll for the foreseeable future. The team tried to shift the 22-year-old to the wing, but that just didn’t work out for the small scorer.
So with his career stalled, Loktionov wants out.
Could he work out for another team? Jettisoned young Kings have worked out (Teddy Purcell) and had mixed results (Alex Frolov) in the past few years, so it’s anyone’s guess.
(H/T to Jewels from the Crown)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)