Jan 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
Depth is a strength for the Los Angeles Kings, but that can be bad news for younger players trying to advance their careers.
Forward Andrei Loktionov has requested a trade with the team’s logjam at center in mind; meanwhile, Jonathan Bernier has backed off his own demands to an extent, according to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.
Bernier admits he wants to steal more starts from Jonathan Quick. That’s pretty reasonable since the 24-year-old is in the last year of his current deal, even if accomplishing that task is a tall order.
“I can’t really do anything about it,” Bernier said. “It has been two years since I’ve been in (this) situation. I just want to play. With the (compressed) schedule now, things can change a lot. Hopefully Suttsy can squeeze me in for a few.”
(Suttsy is the hockey-stereotypical nickname for Darryl Sutter, in case you were wondering.)
While Bernier contends with the prominent 27-year-old netminder, Loktionov finds himself buried in the AHL and stuck behind centers Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards and Jarret Stoll for the foreseeable future. The team tried to shift the 22-year-old to the wing, but that just didn’t work out for the small scorer.
So with his career stalled, Loktionov wants out.
Could he work out for another team? Jettisoned young Kings have worked out (Teddy Purcell) and had mixed results (Alex Frolov) in the past few years, so it’s anyone’s guess.
(H/T to Jewels from the Crown)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (56)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)