Jan 30, 2013, 10:41 PM EDT
Depth is a strength for the Los Angeles Kings, but that can be bad news for younger players trying to advance their careers.
Forward Andrei Loktionov has requested a trade with the team’s logjam at center in mind; meanwhile, Jonathan Bernier has backed off his own demands to an extent, according to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.
Bernier admits he wants to steal more starts from Jonathan Quick. That’s pretty reasonable since the 24-year-old is in the last year of his current deal, even if accomplishing that task is a tall order.
“I can’t really do anything about it,” Bernier said. “It has been two years since I’ve been in (this) situation. I just want to play. With the (compressed) schedule now, things can change a lot. Hopefully Suttsy can squeeze me in for a few.”
(Suttsy is the hockey-stereotypical nickname for Darryl Sutter, in case you were wondering.)
While Bernier contends with the prominent 27-year-old netminder, Loktionov finds himself buried in the AHL and stuck behind centers Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards and Jarret Stoll for the foreseeable future. The team tried to shift the 22-year-old to the wing, but that just didn’t work out for the small scorer.
So with his career stalled, Loktionov wants out.
Could he work out for another team? Jettisoned young Kings have worked out (Teddy Purcell) and had mixed results (Alex Frolov) in the past few years, so it’s anyone’s guess.
(H/T to Jewels from the Crown)
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights