Jan 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
For a team that won 70 percent of its home games last year, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 0-2 start at Consol Energy Center has been something of a stunner.
For their fans, it’s been frustrating to watch.
Last night, boos rained down on the Penguins during a 4-1 loss to the Islanders, a game in which Pittsburgh looked lethargic on special teams, going 0-for-3 on the power play while allowing the Isles to score on both of their man advantages.
“You can’t say they weren’t right in booing us,” Pascal Dupuis told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “You don’t want to hear it.
“At the same time, a slap in the face maybe won’t hurt.”
Pittsburgh could point to fatigue as the reason for its lackluster play. The Pens have played four of their first five on the road and four games in six nights, including a Friday-Sunday stretch in Winnipeg and Ottawa.
That said, nobody in the dressing room seemed ready to make that excuse — especially after such a poor outing on home ice.
“We’re not putting a very good product out there,” Chris Kunitz said. “They’re coming to watch supposedly a good team that goes out and plays, and we’re not doing that right now.
“[Booing is] what we’ve got to expect if that’s how we’re going to play.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)