Jan 30, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
The decision by Markham city councilors to press on with plans to build an NHL-caliber arena in the Toronto suburb seems to have everyone talking expansion today. Does the league have plans to add a couple of new teams? Perhaps one in the Toronto market and another in Quebec City?
Former NHLPA chief Paul Kelly, in attendance at yesterday’s meeting in Markham, seems to think so.
But deputy commissioner Billy Daly says no.
“There’s never been a plan to expand to 32 teams,” Daly told ESPN.com Wednesday morning. “Whether we talked conceptually at some point if things are going well whether we could expand to 32, I’m sure we suggested we could, but we certainly never reached the point where that was appropriate when Paul Kelly was executive director of the NHLPA and I’d say we haven’t got there at this point.”
The still-alive Markham arena plans also raise the question of whether the Maple Leafs could block expansion into their territory.
Unless, of course, the NHL makes it worth the Leafs’ while.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)