Jan 30, 2013, 1:50 AM EST
L.A. Kings defenceman Willie Mitchell is medically cleared to play, following knee surgery during the lockout.
But the decision to step back into the Kings’ lineup remains up to him.
On Monday, the 35-year-old Mitchell underwent an MRI, according to Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times.
“There was no structural damage and no setback,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi was quoted as saying Tuesday in the L.A. Times.
The fact Mitchell has been given medical clearance to play, but has chosen to not to dress seems to have caused some friction with head coach Darryl Sutter.
Not one for passing out long, cliched answers to the media, Sutter said of Mitchell’s absence from the lineup that he’s “not a doctor or a psychologist.”
The Kings are coming off a come-from-behind 3-2 shootout win over the Vancouver Canucks – the same team an underdog L.A. squad beat out in the first round of the 2012 playoffs on the way to a Stanley Cup – and will host the Nashville Predators on Thursday.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)