Jan 30, 2013, 1:50 AM EDT
L.A. Kings defenceman Willie Mitchell is medically cleared to play, following knee surgery during the lockout.
But the decision to step back into the Kings’ lineup remains up to him.
On Monday, the 35-year-old Mitchell underwent an MRI, according to Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times.
“There was no structural damage and no setback,” Kings general manager Dean Lombardi was quoted as saying Tuesday in the L.A. Times.
The fact Mitchell has been given medical clearance to play, but has chosen to not to dress seems to have caused some friction with head coach Darryl Sutter.
Not one for passing out long, cliched answers to the media, Sutter said of Mitchell’s absence from the lineup that he’s “not a doctor or a psychologist.”
The Kings are coming off a come-from-behind 3-2 shootout win over the Vancouver Canucks – the same team an underdog L.A. squad beat out in the first round of the 2012 playoffs on the way to a Stanley Cup – and will host the Nashville Predators on Thursday.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)