Jan 30, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
New York Islanders forward Colin McDonald spent five minutes in the sin bin and received a game misconduct for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy, but McDonald’s punishment might just be starting.
The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with McDonald for 10:45 a.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The 28-year-old forward was trailing Lovejoy in a race for the puck behind the Penguins’ net. Lovejoy got there moments earlier and McDonald responded by slamming into Lovejoy from behind and shoving the defenseman headfirst into the boards.
It’s worth noting that McDonald’s stick was in the air for the entire incident, suggesting that he was not looking to battle for the puck.
If you want to see the incident, you can do so below:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)