Jan 30, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
New York Islanders forward Colin McDonald spent five minutes in the sin bin and received a game misconduct for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy, but McDonald’s punishment might just be starting.
The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with McDonald for 10:45 a.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The 28-year-old forward was trailing Lovejoy in a race for the puck behind the Penguins’ net. Lovejoy got there moments earlier and McDonald responded by slamming into Lovejoy from behind and shoving the defenseman headfirst into the boards.
It’s worth noting that McDonald’s stick was in the air for the entire incident, suggesting that he was not looking to battle for the puck.
If you want to see the incident, you can do so below:
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40