Jan 30, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
New York Islanders forward Colin McDonald spent five minutes in the sin bin and received a game misconduct for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy, but McDonald’s punishment might just be starting.
The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with McDonald for 10:45 a.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The 28-year-old forward was trailing Lovejoy in a race for the puck behind the Penguins’ net. Lovejoy got there moments earlier and McDonald responded by slamming into Lovejoy from behind and shoving the defenseman headfirst into the boards.
It’s worth noting that McDonald’s stick was in the air for the entire incident, suggesting that he was not looking to battle for the puck.
If you want to see the incident, you can do so below:
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)