Jan 30, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
New York Islanders forward Colin McDonald spent five minutes in the sin bin and received a game misconduct for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy, but McDonald’s punishment might just be starting.
The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with McDonald for 10:45 a.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The 28-year-old forward was trailing Lovejoy in a race for the puck behind the Penguins’ net. Lovejoy got there moments earlier and McDonald responded by slamming into Lovejoy from behind and shoving the defenseman headfirst into the boards.
It’s worth noting that McDonald’s stick was in the air for the entire incident, suggesting that he was not looking to battle for the puck.
If you want to see the incident, you can do so below:
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)