Jan 30, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
New York Islanders forward Colin McDonald spent five minutes in the sin bin and received a game misconduct for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy, but McDonald’s punishment might just be starting.
The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with McDonald for 10:45 a.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The 28-year-old forward was trailing Lovejoy in a race for the puck behind the Penguins’ net. Lovejoy got there moments earlier and McDonald responded by slamming into Lovejoy from behind and shoving the defenseman headfirst into the boards.
It’s worth noting that McDonald’s stick was in the air for the entire incident, suggesting that he was not looking to battle for the puck.
If you want to see the incident, you can do so below:
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5