Jan 30, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators look like they’ll be shorthanded against the Montreal Canadiens in Wednesday’s upcoming game. Jason Spezza (back) is set to miss his second game in a row and now the team announced that Sergei Gonchar will be sidelined with a lower-body injury.
It’s unclear how serious the issue is and the team didn’t elaborate about how he got banged up.
The Russian blueliner might have lost a step or two at 38, yet he’s still an important piece of the puzzle in Ottawa. Only Erik Karlsson‘s 26:49 minutes per game tops Sergei Gonchar’s 23:34 time on ice (although Marc Methot is close behind at 23:38).
Gonchar has a goal and three assists for four points in six games so far this season.
With Spezza, 29, and Gonchar on the sidelines, Ottawa likely hopes to get a boost from Mika Zibanejad. The 19-year-old forward collected an assist in his season debut on Tuesday.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)