Jan 30, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators look like they’ll be shorthanded against the Montreal Canadiens in Wednesday’s upcoming game. Jason Spezza (back) is set to miss his second game in a row and now the team announced that Sergei Gonchar will be sidelined with a lower-body injury.
It’s unclear how serious the issue is and the team didn’t elaborate about how he got banged up.
The Russian blueliner might have lost a step or two at 38, yet he’s still an important piece of the puzzle in Ottawa. Only Erik Karlsson‘s 26:49 minutes per game tops Sergei Gonchar’s 23:34 time on ice (although Marc Methot is close behind at 23:38).
Gonchar has a goal and three assists for four points in six games so far this season.
With Spezza, 29, and Gonchar on the sidelines, Ottawa likely hopes to get a boost from Mika Zibanejad. The 19-year-old forward collected an assist in his season debut on Tuesday.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 65
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 6
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 31
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination